Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Love is thicker than blood

Every now and then, I run across a quote that resonates with me. This one appears in today's Dear Abby:

"Blood may be thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood." -- Goldie Nash

The Dear Abby column related to adopted children and stepchildren, but it makes me think of my friends. Other than my mother, husband, and son, I have no relatives that I'm especially close to. Growing up as an only child, I relied on my close friends for companionship and support. They were truly like family, much closer and more important to me than my cousins and other relatives. What matters to me is the relationship, that someone genuinely cares about me (and vice-versa), not blood or status or any of those other things people seem to worry about.

No comments: