Monday, July 16, 2007

Harry Potter: the latest movie and the last book

[don't worry; no spoilers here]

I've been too busy living life to blog about it much lately, but I do want to say something about the movie version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which I saw Friday night. Hubby and I disagree; I liked it, and he didn't. He's a purist where Harry Potter movies are concerned, getting annoyed at any change they make from the books. But since Phoenix was an 800+ page book, they had to cut it to pieces to make a 2 1/2 hr movie. Overall, I think they cut intelligently, including everything that was essential for telling the story and keeping the sequence logical and easy to follow. The acting seemed better than it has it some of the previous movies. Michael Gambon seemed to get Dumbledore right for a change. Supposedly he finally read the books before playing the part this time, so he now has a clue about the character after being way off in Goblet of Fire. Emma Watson's acting gets better with each film (thank goodness). Imelda Staunton was perfect as Dolores Umbridge, absolutely loathesome. And Daniel Radcliffe just gets better and better as Harry, bringing more maturity and range to the role than ever.

Now the countdown begins to the seventh and final book, due out this Saturday. Tony plans to dress as Voldemort for the party at Borders and get our copy right at midnight. I might go, but after a long day at work, I'm not sure I'll make it till midnight. The big discussion at our house is, Is Snape evil or (sort of) good? I don't want to say too much, because I know at least one of my readers hasn't read Book 6 yet, so I'll be a bit vague. Tony maintains that he's really on Dumbledore's side. I think Snape's on his own side, looking out for himself. He does what he has to do to stay alive. It'll be interesting to see what he does in the last book. Of course, the really big question is, Will Harry die? In a way I think he might, because that would be a good way for Rowling to ensure that she doesn't get talked into writing another Harry Potter book. Having Harry die while killing Voldemort would make a great dramatic ending to the series. But I don't know if she would do that. She has said that parts of the 7th book are very sad and that there is more than one death. In other words, I'll be in a foul mood for at least a week after I read it.

If you're a Harry Potter fan, please leave a comment with your predictions. If you aren't: run, don't walk, to your nearest library or bookstore, get a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and start reading! You don't know what you're missing.

No comments: