Thursday, November 29, 2007

A random visit to my iTunes library

I've been really busy at work this week, so I haven't had much time to think up stuff to write. So I'm borrowing a meme I found on one of my favorite blogs, Tales from the Liberry: Put your music player on shuffle and discuss the first 10 songs that come up. I won't tag anyone, but if you feel moved to give this a try, go for it. It's always fun to see what people have in their music libraries.

1. "Goodbye" -- Night Ranger (from their greatest hits)
Night Ranger were one of my favorite bands when I was a teenager (the other being Def Leppard, of course). While I'm not usually a ballad person, I really like this song, probably because I can relate to the lyrics. It's about memories, saying goodbye, and moving on, leaving the past behind. I've always found that very difficult, or as the chorus goes, "I was never much good at goodbye."

2. "Come Monday" -- Jimmy Buffet (from Songs You Know By Heart)
It's hard for me to write about this song, because I'm singing along while I'm listening to it. I love Jimmy Buffet, and this is one of my favorites of his. I think of it as grown-up romance--not sappy, not cliched, not excessively dramatic ("I'll die if I can't have you right.this.second" Blech.) Instead, he gives words to the longing you feel when you're separated from someone you've loved a long time, someone who is practically a part of you.

3. "The Air that I Breathe" -- The Hollies
OK, what is it with the ballads? Most of my library consists of crunchy guitars, but the sweet love songs are coming up for some reason. I'm not entirely sure why I like this song, but I've liked it since I was kid. Go figure.

4. "Just Got Lucky" -- Dokken (from The Very Best of)
Whew! Now I have my crunchy guitars! I was getting worried there for a minute. I'm not a huge Dokken fan, but I like this one--it's catchy, and it reminds me of the glorious hair metal 80s.

5. "Karma Chameleon" -- Culture Club (from Like, Omigod! The 80s Pop Culture Box)
OK, you rockers quit your laughing! Boy George may be a mess, but he's a talented mess, with a smooth, silky, satiny voice. This one isn't my favorite Culture Club song (that's probably "Victims"), but it's fun.

6. "Little Bit of Love" -- Def Leppard (from Yeah!)
If you stopped listening to Def Leppard after Hysteria, you're missing out! On Yeah!, they cover some of their favorite 70s glam rock tracks, and the result is wonderful. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't remember who did this song originally, but I really like Leppard's version. Melody, big hooks, and those layered harmonies... crank it up!

7. "Nothing is Real" -- Ricky Warwick (from Tattoos and Alibis)
I first heard Ricky Warwick (formerly of the Almighty and now with Circus Diablo) when he opened for Def Leppard in 2002, and I was hooked immediately. It was just him and his guitar up there, but his voice and his lyrics really impressed me. Tattoos and Alibis was his first solo CD, and most of it is excellent. Give him a listen--you won't be sorry.

8. "Cruisin'" -- Smokey Robinson (from My World: The Definitive Collection)
My rocker cred is taking a beating tonight, but I'll never apologize for having Smokey Robinson in my collection. Smooth, romantic, sexy... great mood music if you can ignore my off-key singalong.

9. "Poison Ivy" -- Faster Pussycat (from Greatest Hits)
From Smokey to Faster Pussycat... yep, must be my music. "Poison Ivy" is the only Faster Pussycat song I really like, probably because it's totally catchy. Warning: If you crank it up in the car on the way to work, you can expect to have it stuck in your head all day. Just try not to start singing during that big meeting with your boss.

10. "Lipstick and Leather" -- Y & T (from In Rock We Trust)
Ah, memories... It was 1984. I drove around all summer in my 1975 Ford Maverick (stop laughing!) with this song blasting out the speakers. I got to see Y & T live for the first time that year too. They played with Twisted Sister and Lita Ford at Oakwood Lake in Manteca, CA (I said, Stop laughing!) that fall, and I must've seen about 10 people there from my high school. Those were the days...

Well, there ya go -- a small cross-section of my iTunes library. It even turned out to be a somewhat representative sample.

No comments: