Saturday, July 05, 2008

Time to cheer up

For those who don't know, it's been a difficult few months here at Camp Crum. We've dealt with illnesses and injuries, as well as family and friends with various problems. Through it all, I've managed to keep my sense of humor and, for the most part, enjoy myself. The last week or so, though, has been tough. I've felt a little like a one-woman Whack-A-Mole game. Something happens to knock me down, I pop back up as usual, and something else hits me. Rinse. Repeat. Or, as one of my friends who's also having a difficult time put it, "Why does life always have to give us lemons? Enough with the damn lemons already!" It's not that any one thing has been devastating--it's just that there have been quite a few things. But after spending a week being moody, brooding, and depressed, I'm tired of it. I believe Abraham Lincoln was right when he said that most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Or that famous philosopher, Mike Brady, who once declared, "We've had enough worse. It's time for some better." Yes, it is.

The problems will still be there. Hubby is still injured, Mom is still hurting, several of my friends are still going through some difficult times, and I still have some personal drama to sort through. But in the midst of all that, I'm going to look for joy and laughter wherever I can find it. Just writing this has lifted my mood, probably because this blog is one of the ways I reach out to others. If there's an upside to being depressed, it's realizing how many friends I have and how much they mean to me. If you're reading this--especially if you made it this far--you're probably one of those friends, so thank you. And be warned: I intend to return to my usual silliness very soon. You might want to check your chair before you sit down. I think I found a Whoopee cushion while cleaning house yesterday.

No comments: