Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Today's randomness

So I thought about writing a thought-provoking post about 9/11, but I'm just not in the mood to be that serious. Maybe next year. Instead, since today has been sort of random, I thought I'd share some random stuff that's crossed my path in the last couple days:

1. I heard on the radio this morning that Sammy Hagar will turn 60 (that's six-zero!) next month. Holy crap! The man who gave us I Can't Drive 55 and Mas Tequila is going to be 60? How the heck did that happen?

2. Yesterday I went to a meeting near Seattle with some co-workers. On the way up there, we saw a couple funny things, which thanks to my camera phone I can share here:

0910070758.jpg

Just taking his rock out for a drive...

The first one is a huge inflatable gorilla, used to advertise some store in Tacoma (a furniture store, I think). He's quite freaky-looking. The second pic shows someone taking his rock out for a nice drive on the freeway. When we looked closer, we realized the rock was plastic and hollow, but it still looked really bizarre.

3. Today, on my way back from a meeting across town, I saw a van drive by with two flags protruding from it. That's not so uncommon. But. These flags were *huge*. And. One was an American flag (not unexpected, since it's Sept. 11), but the other one was... the Jolly Roger! Huh?? Apparently we have a patriotic pirate in town. I really wanted to chase him down and ask him what was up with the pirate flag, but I decided I'd better get back to work, especially since I had a co-worker in the car with me. I really wish I could have gotten a pic, but I was driving, and traffic was heavy, so no such luck.

Rock stars eligible for senior citizen discounts, inflatable jungle creatures, rocks and pirates on the road... I'm confused.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PDX has a fairly large "pirate community" (you know you're in trouble when you refer to any fringe subset as a community). See
http://www.pdxpirate.org/

and if for some reason you *need* medieval/renaissance pirates, I can put you in touch with said sea dogs. aaaarrrrrr.

fkv

Janet said...

Oh, my. Apparently I need to get out more. Do any of the local pirates look like Jack Sparrow? If so, send 'em over!