Monday, June 18, 2007

A Flickr wedding

I'm back from camping, and I'll post a bunch of pictures as soon as I can get them off my memory card. Word to the wise: some card readers can't handle cards with 2GB or more of storage.

In the meantime, I stumbled across something cool on Flickr: a couple who met on Flickr and are now married. Their story is pretty neat, especially since they really met by chance and are from different countries. Their story is a wonderful example of how web 2.0 technology is bringing people together in new ways. MySpace and Facebook are cool, but they are designed specifically to help people make connections. Sites like Flickr and YouTube are designed around pictures and video, but they include social networking components that allow people to "meet" based on the media they post. I've made a couple of friends on Flickr based on common interests reflected in our photos (I even found another librarian who's into Def Leppard!). I also met someone on YouTube, because I posted a 15-second cellphone video of Eric Martin. She's a big fan, so she emailed me, and we've corresponded off and on ever since.

It's truly a small world--and getting smaller all the time.

No comments: