Sunday, May 18, 2008

Two funny things for you music fans

In the last couple days, I've run across two funny music-related things. I have neither the time nor the energy for witty commentary, so I'll just post 'em. Enjoy!

First up: a paper from Robert J. Oxoby of the University of Calgary entitled (I am not making this up): On the Efficiency of AC/DC: Bon Scott versus Brian Johnson. Spoiler alert! Here's the conclusion, in full:

The question as to who was a better singer, Bon Scott or Brian Johnson, may never truly be resolved. However, our analysis suggests that in terms of affecting efficient
decision making among listeners, Brian Johnson was a better singer. Our analysis has direct implications for policy and organizational design: when policymakers or
employers are engaging in negotiations (or setting up environments in which other parties will negotiate) and are interested in playing the music of AC/DC, they should
choose from the band’s Brian Johnson era discography.

The rest of the paper is worth a read. Who knew an economist could have a sense of humor?

Next: My good buddy Dave and I were talking about the Pink Floyd pig, which apparently went missing last month and was later found in pieces. Not being a Pink Floyd fan, I hadn't heard of their pig, so I turned to my favorite casual reference source, Wikipedia. The Pink Floyd pigs (there have been several) have their own Wikipedia entry, which is hilarious. It's enough to make one believe that Spinal Tap was a real documentary.

No comments: