Friday, May 11, 2007

A former Army doctor talks about war

I don't have much time (getting ready to leave for CA tomorrow morning), but I want to share a moving, eloquent blog post from a former Army doctor who served in Vietnam. This passage will give you the gist of his message:


And I hate it -- I absolutely hate it -- when I hear hard-on holding TV pundits and chest-thumping politicos who haven't the slightest clue what war does to people getting all teary-eyed about "sacrifice" and square-jawed about bravery. Not to mention people who get shocked when a soldier living in that world goes off the deep end. It's what happens. When we send kids to war, sticking little magnets on our bumpers, putting down the remote long enough to give the finger to peaceniks; when we force our young to leave their humanity behind (while telling them not to and pretending it's possible), we ought to be damn sure -- we ought to be god damn sure there's absolutely no other choice. The only people for whom war is glorious are those who never were in one.


I don't have the time to add my own commentary, nor is it necessary. His post says it all.

No comments: