Wednesday, May 09, 2007

MySpace vs. Blogger

I've let this blog go for awhile now, because I've been blogging on MySpace. Why? Because many of my friends are there, they comment on my posts, and it's fun to write for a known audience. Writing here is like tossing a message in a bottle into the Pacific: someone might find it, but you don't know who, and they'll probably never tell you. But Blogger also offers some advantages over MySpace: It's easier to access and read, it doesn't have the "home of the predators" stigma attached to MySpace, and it offers *much* better blogging tools (permalinks, trackbacks, tagging, and way more customization).

And then there's the difference in blog culture. As a rule, Blogger users are more tech- and blog-savvy and more interested in thought-provoking writing. MySpace users are more interested in what I did today, pop culture... you know, diary entries. Both are great, but they're different. Yet my MySpace blog wouldn't be an accurate reflection of me if I didn't include some opinions and, ahem, deep thoughts. And my Blogger blog seems incomplete without some of the personal stuff (and I do a lot fewer thought pieces than diary entries, which is why there hasn't been much activity here in awhile).

What to do?

After thinking about this for awhile, I've decided to mostly duplicate my work in both places. I may occasionally post something on only one blog or the other, but for the most part the content will be the same in both places. I don't think that will bother anyone, because I suspect the readership will be different in both places.

So, to catch up, I may copy some posts from here onto my MySpace blog, and I will very likely copy some posts from my MySpace blog here. But from this point forward, new entries will appear in both places. If anyone knows how to automate that process, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll be cutting and pasting.

No comments: